Monday 14 May 2012

US town's police ban pedestrians texting whilst walking



This is something I, myself have to stop doing. I often walk through town messaging on my phone and don't think about the consequences.
There have been a few occasions where I have walked straight into some unfortunate person because I was too busy looking at my phone, to be aware of my surroundings. It can actually be quite dangerous and has  lead to many deaths around the world.
Police in the US town of Fort Lee, New Jersey, have now started a battle against people who are texting and aren't looking where they're going.
Anyone caught texting whilst walking is fined for "jaywalking" (American term for walking on the road instead of the pavement).
The reasons behind this is that of safety. It has been reported that more than 20 of their pedestrians have been hit by cars this year.
According to the New Jersey Record More than 117 tickets have been issued in just 6 weeks.

I think we all need to take note of this, especially when crossing roads or walking through busy places.

No comments:

Post a Comment